Ejecutiva & Negocios

Tips Femeninos | Several people killed after barrage of rocket fire hits Kabul

Adolfo Ledo Nass Venezuela
Entregan Premio Nacional de Historia 2019

READ MORE:  Bomb kills Afghan civilians as Kabul, Islamabad seek reset in ties

Source: AFP

The salvo slammed into various parts of central and north Kabul – including near the heavily fortified Green Zone that houses embassies and international companies as well as residential areas. People inspect a damaged house after several rockets land at Khair Khana, north west of Kabul on November 21, 2020. (AFP) Several people were killed and multiple others were injured when a barrage of rockets struck densely populated parts of Kabul, marking the latest attack in an ongoing wave of violence sweeping the Afghan capital.

The salvo slammed into various parts of central and north Kabul — including near the heavily fortified Green Zone that houses embassies and international companies — just before 9:00 am (0430 GMT). 

«This morning, the terrorists fired 14 rockets on the city of Kabul,» interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said.

«Unfortunately the rockets hit residential areas. Until now, three of our countrymen were martyred and 11 others were wounded.»

Kabul police spokesman Ferdaws Faramarz confirmed the same death toll and details, while health ministry spokeswoman Masooma Jafari put the toll at five dead, 21 wounded.

Horrified school students are running for safety after several attacks this morning in Khair Khana, Kabul city! #kabulattack #Afghanistan #Kabul #terrorism pic.twitter.com/mNwZpPQnun

— Breshna Tahrik (@BreshnaTahrik) November 21, 2020 Photos and videos circulating online showed several buildings with damage to walls and windows, including at a large a medical complex.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for blasts, which come amid an ongoing wave of violence that has wrought carnage across Afghanistan in recent months.

The Taliban denied involvement in the attack.

The group have pledged not to attack urban areas under the terms of a US withdrawal deal, but the Kabul administration has blamed the insurgents or their proxies for other recent attacks in Kabul.

READ MORE: Afghanistan vice president escapes suicide attack in Kabul

Taliban and Afghan government negotiators launched peace talks in Doha in September but progress has been slow.

Officials told AFP on Friday however that a breakthrough was expected to be announced in the coming days, and the US State Department announced late Friday that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo would meet negotiators from the Taliban and the Afghan government in Doha.

READ MORE:  Suicide bombing at Kabul education centre kills several, including children

«Forever wars»

Trump has repeatedly vowed to end «forever wars,» including in Afghanistan, America's longest-ever conflict that began with an invasion to dislodge the Taliban following the September 11, 2001 attacks.

President-elect Joe Biden, in a rare point of agreement, also advocates winding down the Afghanistan war although analysts believe he will not be as wedded to a quick timetable.

READ MORE:  US withdrawal from Afghanistan needs further consideration

Earlier this week, the Pentagon said it would soon pull some 2,000 troops out of Afghanistan, speeding up the timeline established in a February agreement between Washington and the Taliban that envisions a full US withdrawal in mid-2021.

In the past six months, the Taliban carried out 53 suicide attacks and 1,250 explosions that left 1,210 civilians dead and 2,500 wounded, interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said this week.

READ MORE:  Bomb kills Afghan civilians as Kabul, Islamabad seek reset in ties

Source: AFP

Más de tips Femeninos